Pattern: Vintage Simplicity Pattern 8701 View 3 c.1978
Fabric: Rayon Challis Ikat Diamonds Blue from fabric.com


 

Do you like my new hat? I do! I got it from a cute little boutique by Lake Geneva last week on a girls-mini-vacay and it has been perfect for this weather! Not only does it have spf 50, but it is completely crushable (like, stuff it in your suitcase and it springs right back). And how perfectly does it go with this dress? Oh yeah, I made a dress!


I was inspired to get this vintage (c.1978) pattern when I saw the amazing maxi dress Michelle made earlier this year (I still wish I could find that exact fabric - LOVE!). I knew it had to be made with something light and drapey for the summer and I ordered this blue and white ikat print rayon challis from fabric.com. I ordered 3 yards, as the pattern called for to make the maxi version. However, due to a shortage of fabric in stock, I ended up with two pieces - 1 yd and 1.5 yds. An adjustment had to be made, but I couldn't part with the idea of the maxi, so I decided on a hi-lo hem to save fabric on the front skirt. It just fit perfectly!


Here are some details:

Pattern: Vintage Simplicity Pattern 8701 View 3 c.1978

Size: 12 (34 bust - fit perfectly)

My Shape: Tall (6'0), pear shape, narrow shoulders, long torso
Fabric: Rayon Challis Ikat Diamonds Blue from fabric.com

Size Alterations: None! The bodice fit amazingly well around the bust and the waist is just gathered. The full skirt is plenty roomy for my larger bum :)

Design Changes:

- Added hi-lo hem
- Instead of slip stitching back opening closed, I left it open since it was already finished so nicely and topped it off with a cute nautical button

Construction Notes:

- Serged inside seams for a clean finish
- Top is finished with facings - I tacked them down at the side seams as the slippery fabric kept wanting to show some of the facings (especially once the shoulder straps were attached to the front - I tacked these down as well)
- IT'S GOTS POCKETSES!


A few detail shots:



I am so happy with how this turned out, and how simple it was to put together. I would say for someone who is a quick sewer (not me!) it would be a easy one day project. I will definitely be making another one (maybe an actual maxi :) in the near future!!!


Oh, and I almost forgot... my Color Blocked Scout Tee was one of the WINNERS of the Scout Tee Sewalong over at Kollabora!!! It totally has made my week and I have been prancing like a peacock all over the house (the hubs can attest to this ridiculousness). Thank you so much for all of your lovely comments, and if you haven't checked out the other amazing Scouts (including the winner, Laglov's Tulip Scout), or the awesomeness that is Kollabora, make sure you do! Thanks to Wanette for the sweet sewalong, and Jen for a great pattern (have you seen the new Lakeside pajamas?)! YAY SEWING COMMUNITY!!!